Not sure where to start? Begin by thinking about these questions:
- Are you managing your time how you would like to?
- Are you doing the things you enjoy?
- Are there other activities you want to make time for and do on a regular basis?
- Are there things you are currently choosing that you do not want to participate in anymore?
- Are you taking a few minutes each day for yourself?
So, if you want to create a new routine now is the time.
Your new routine might include:
- Having a Set Sleep Schedule (11 pm to 7 am)
- Taking 2 Breaks During Work (2 – 10 minutes each break)
- Consistently Eating 3 Meals a Day (eating at the same time each day is a plus)
- Doing Something Challenging or New
- Exercising 2-5 Times a Week
- Planning Time for Fun
Our bodies and brain love consistency. Eating, waking up and going to sleep at the same time each day will help maintain your body’s energy and keep you prepared for whatever activities are ahead of you.
On the other hand, it is essential to participate in different activities each day to push your brain to perform new tasks in new ways. This can also help you overcome the feeling of living a mundane life or feeling like you are the main character in the movie Groundhog Day, stuck living the same day over and over and over and over...
During treatment, we remind our patients that if they find something to be hard, it is a good sign because it means they have found something to improve on. Challenges are an opportunity to push your brain and body. While many times we may not see challenges as a good thing, they really can help us to become who we want to be.
Now for the most important part of your routine, be sure to plan downtime, and breaks—even if it is only a few minutes, and time to do things you enjoy. If you aren’t sure what you enjoy, we challenge you to try something new like learning a new language, playing a new game, reading a book, playing an instrument, trying a new sport, painting, or anything really you haven’t tried before.
Overall, we know that establishing a new routine can take time and flexibility. You can find six tips on how to create a new daily routine to start off the new year in the direction you choose and want. We hope that as you start the new year that you know we believe in you and we are here cheering you on. Also know that regardless of what time of year it is you can always start new, and create the routine you want.